Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Our January Ski Weekend: Keystone

The idea was to meet up with our friend Don at Keystone on Saturday and then Jeff and I would go to Copper on Sunday so that I could take a private lesson and we could meet up with the Caughlins. Hmmm... at least the private lesson worked out.



I liked this photo because it showed one of the lifts at Keystone disappearing into the clouds. No, that is not the top of the mountain, although it is hard to tell. This is the lift right by the little hospital.

Jeff managed to do a little bit of night skiing while I went shopping. The only thing I got was breakfast for us for the following morning. Bagels, dunkie donuts and hot chocolate--the breakfast of champions, right? Right??



I cringed at the idea of posting this picture because I've got hat hair and a weirdly flat face. But the idea is really not for you to look at my mug. It's for you to view the fabulous spread that we treated ourselves to at the fondue restaurant at the top of the mountain. We had to take TWO gondolas to get there. I think they must get supplies out there by snowcat.

The dinner was amazing. We started out with a cheese fondue and all manner of dipping items: bread cubes, cruciferous vegetables, apples. The fondue was laced with white wine and was very tasty. I was worried that it would be like melted Brie but it was much, much better.

We followed with a caesar salad. You can see it in the picture with me. The fondue pot is on top of a small flame and the plate of dippers is on top of the grill. The grill was used in the third course. We got to pick our meats and cook them on top of this grill. We ate venison, sirloin, shrimp and pork. It was really nice because we could cook them for as long as we wanted to. They also gave us bread and butter, potatoes, a plate of appetizer-type things like olives, tiny pickles, garlic, etc. and a tiny skillet to make our own dipping sauce with the butter.

The last course was a chocolate fondue. We chose the dark chocolate. This time the dippers were things like pound cake, piroulines, bananas in syrup and fruits.

The whole thing was impossibly good and we were actually uncomfortably full when we left. I gained a pound and a half. But some things are so worth it.

One of the first things the server asked us was, "Do you do the chicken dance?" I really thought I had heard wrong, because the place was full of staff attired in barmaid dresses and lederhosen. But then she made it clear that the entertainment, and oom-pa polka band, would be playing the chicken dance later and that we would be expected to join in! Well, all right then.



The aforementioned oom-pa band. They were great. They mostly did traditional music but they actually had a few jazz numbers up their sleeves too.



One of the snowcats. This one was grooming the snow in front of the restaurants. He even stopped so we could get a picture.



We returned to our little condo afterward. It was just perfect. I think we will try to stay there again, if we ski Keystone two days in a row. So far I prefer Copper, so this seems unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment