Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Billy, Redux

Billy underwent a journey of more than 10 days to arrive in the Centennial State. After spending a snowy day cooped up at home, I decided to take him out on the town.



Billy was excited about seeing the Capitol, whose dome is covered in real gold. It was pretty snowy so I insisted that he borrow my hat, so he didn't catch a chill. It made sitting for his picture more enjoyable.



On the north side of the Capitol, where the main entrance is, there is a point on the stairs that is exactly one mile above sea level. There are a few markers thanks to ever-more-accurate methods of measurement. Who cares: Billy was basically a mile high!



Last but not least: we tried to go to the Mint. We have learned that the Mint doesn't accept visitors on Saturdays. Bummer! But Billy got his picture taken outside the visitor entrance anyway, just to show we gave it a shot. He does look a little bit bummed out, doesn't he?

I had a blast with Billy. I was excited that my friend Ken from Germany has agreed to be Billy's next host. Since Ken is in town this week, Billy can catch the plane with him back to Germany on Thursday. Billy has become quite the globetrotter. I'm jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment